ATTENTION!!!

I'm moving this blog to:

http://fucknits.feministy.com

It's a bit of a mess right now as I get my head around Wordpress and dust off my long-neglected FTP skillz.
Please update your bookmarks! Both of you!!

Friday 7 December 2007

Late night, overdue update from a wino

cable hat 001A quick FO first of all...

A hat I knocked up out of Phildar Kadischan (I'll check the name in the morning) and using this cable pattern from the Lion Brand website that I've had my eye on for a while. I've been wearing it constantly. It fits over my ears and my (still minuscule) ponytail perfectly.

I have loads I wanted to write about the huge behemoth craft fair I went to on Monday, but I've had a crappy week and I've kept putting it off. Happy thoughts now: thanks to the wonderful Sylvie Chez Plum I was provided with two free tickets. I planned to go on Saturday but I was left holding the baby. Ok, stop it - back to the happy thoughts! I went on Monday instead, and it was cool. Not a massive amount of knitting stuff, besides a nice, big Phildar stall, some ridiculously silky stuff from Mercredi & Cie (right) and a stall from Namaste Sathi, where I finally gave into temptation/curiousity/lust and bought 250g worth of recycled sari silk for €15.
sari silk 004
Look at it, it's beautiful, even though that picture doesn't do it any justice because I was too impatient to wait until the natural light was good enough.

I searched Ravelry for patterns and could only find bags TOMORROW WHEN YOU'VE HAD SOME SLEEP AND SOBERED UP PUT LINKS TO BAGS HERE, which I kinda needed anyway and I've just had to retire my old bag so I could bastardise it for the zip and lining. But for some reason I couldn't get excited about a bag. I began to worry I'd turn into one of those terrible 'stashers' and just keep the ball on display forever, fondling it occasionally. (Wrong, wrong, wrong, in so many ways. Keeping yarn that isn't on a set of needles is like keeping booze that isn't for drinking. Wrong.)

Then as luck would have it, I had Tuesday off and spent some time wandering around Le Marais. I found a couple of hippy/incense burning/free Tibet type shops that happened to have a few scarfs made out of sari silk. Then I saw a hat, with ear flaps made out of the stuff. I tried it on and the deal was done. I was pretty sure I could make this without a pattern, but I Ravelled it anyway and bought this pattern from 'Woolly Wormhead' just to make sure.

The pattern is top down, and required starting out with 6 stitches. I tried about 3 times to do this on dpns but they kept slipping out and I nearly blew a blood vessel. So I did my first attempt at Magic Loop, and even though the yarn meant the stitch definition was almost non-existent so it was like knitting in the dark, I was pleased with the technique. I've one earflap left now.

Mmmm.... what else? Oh yeah, confession time. I was in a vintage clothes store in Le Marais and found myself all alone in the basement. I couldn't resist it so I tried on a fur coat. Someone came down the stairs after about 10 seconds and I quickly threw it off in shame but fuck me, that was the most amazing coat ever. I looked a million dollars, even in my £6 Primark jeans. I think I might have to move to Russia.

2 comments:

Sheena said...

Ha ha! I saw your blog on Ravelry and had to check it out (you are now officially bookmarked). Love the hat, love the stunt in front of Notre Dame. I'll be in Europe myself next month, and will be keeping my eyes peeled for it!

Sheena said...

Awesome! I will actually be running around London on Jan. 7, trying to cram a weeks worth of sight seeing into one day. Watch out for a crazy American tangled up in yarn, trying to maneuver her way around a strange city (the string of swear words might also be a give away...).